Software Development or Programming has Never been easy but...

 

I suck at programming, but I love it. What should I do?

Back in 2013 when I first started learning how to code at University, I had a very hard time understanding how to implement loops.

Whenever my classmates finished all their loop exercises in record time while I struggled with the very first problem, I thought to myself - man, I suck at programming!

At the end of the semester, with enough practice, implementing loops came as second nature to me.

About seven months ago, I had to develop a full-fledged Android app for an unit I was doing. The app was meant to consume an API which I had to create myself, call a bunch of public APIs as well, do a lot of math with the information and then plot the results.

I couldn’t for the life of me understand how AsyncTasks worked for making calls to the API. Moreover, I went completely blank while implementing fragments.

Basically, I sucked! Real bad!

In the end, though, I had managed to get a working app up and running:

To be honest, I still sucked to some extent (my code wasn’t the most elegant, and the user interface was mediocre at best), but I sucked a tad less than where I was at the beginning of the semester.


A few months ago, I had to code an iOS app for this other unit I am doing.

As expected, I sucked like there’s no tomorrow:

Wtf is an optional? Why can’t I force unwrap one? Why does Swift have to be so weird with null values and not handle them like regular programming languages do?!

How does delegation work again? Can’t I do anything simpler to pass information from one view to the next? Ugh!

After a few weeks of effort, I started to suck a bit less and had something to show, at least:


I could go on about the countless times I felt that I sucked at programming. But I know that’s not a bad thing. I keep sucking because I know I’m constantly exposing myself to new things and that can be pretty daunting. For instance, I’ll have to work with R in a few days for some exploratory data analysis tasks and I know I’ll suck in the beginning!

If you love coding like you say you do, you’ll begin to embrace the confusion and disappointments. It’s all part of the process.

I think Jake from Adventure Time sums it up nicely:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use Django Bootstrap Modal Forms

Everything you need to know when developing an on demand service app

Documentation is Very vital before you develop any system or app