Which tense to Use while committing messages on GitHub


Image result for Github

Basically, the schools of thoughts are:
Imperative (a.k.a. present tense)
  • Should read like:Make foo do something
  • Git uses the same imperative style and it shows when you do merges with commit messages: Merge pull request #666 in kek from lord
  • It tells someone what applying that commit will do, so it should read something like If I apply this commit, it will [make foo do something...]
  • More concise
Past tense
  • Should read like: Made foo do something
  • People reading the history tend to think of it in past tense…because HISTORY
  • Reads more like a diary: Last <insert date here>, I made foo do something....
  • Saving a couple of characters doesn’t matter much as long as it’s still easy to read
The list goes on and on and the debates tend to go on forever, but I for one have seen both sides. I think it really depends on team preference — there is no right or wrong answer here. What matters is consistency. The team should agree on a convention and stick to it.
Personally though, I still think that it should be in the past tense. I have been using it for almost (if not) a decade and the only times I look at commit messages are:
  • trying to find out what was being done in that particular instance (via git blame)
  • evaluating the thought process / skills of an applicant using git (see if they do atomic commits, squashes, etc.)
  • checking what other files were touched in the commit
In all three cases, I read the commit messages as diary entries. I don’t think of it as a ‘If I apply this commit…’ thing mainly because one, I don’t have any plans on applying the commits one by one (we have git clone for a reason) and two, I am looking at past work, not future / present work.
Now one can argue about work being present work so it should be the present tense. Sure — but the fact that it has been saved in git, and it has been logged means it was done. Done = past for me.
Again, these are just my own personal reasons and preferences and it will always boil down to team preference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use Django Bootstrap Modal Forms

Everything you need to know when developing an on demand service app

Documentation is Very vital before you develop any system or app